Sierra Nevada, with no doubt, is one of Lime DMC’s favourite destinations.
Keep on reading and you will discover why!
Sierra Nevada is the southernmost ski resort in Europe and home to the highest peaks in the Iberian Peninsula (Veleta at 3,394 m and Mulhacén at 3,478 m). It offers an amazing skiing experience with over 80% days of sunshine during the season and loads of snow in the South of Spain. And the best thing is that you can ski from December to April. Incredible but true!
We want you to discover four of hundreds of reasons why you should visit Sierra Nevada at least once in your lifetime:
1. Because Sierra Nevada has an unparalleled location!
Just over an hour’s drive from the beautiful beaches on the Costa Tropical, 2 hours from Malaga and under 40 minutes from the centre of Granada.
And what does this mean?
• That you can choose to spend the night in Sierra Nevada, in one of the two wonderful Meliá hotels, which offer a total of 479 rooms and conference facilities as well as ski-to-door access, a fantastic spa, stunning views, fabulous dining, live music shows and relaxing terraces. Doesn’t it sound inviting?
• That you can also decide to sleep in downtown Granada, close to all the city’s historical buildings, traditional tapas bars, narrow alleys lined with genuine artisanal shops and fine-dining restaurants.
• That you have the option, as well, of staying at Playa Granada Club Resort, for instance: a beautiful beachfront hotel in the Costa Tropical, only 95 km from the slopes in Sierra Nevada.
Just imagine for a second waking up to the sound of the waves, having a hearty breakfast with freshly baked bread, a bowl of savoury tropical fruit, and a cup of freshly brewed coffee, while enjoying superb ocean views. Oh, but wait… here comes the best part: afterwards, imagine making your way up to Sierra Nevada to enjoy skiing the day away!
2. Because you ski with sea view
Javier, our Project Manager that is crazy about skiing, can lead you to a stunning “almost-religious” experience: standing on the top of the Veleta peak (3.398m) and being absolutely impressed by the view!
On one side you will see the Mediterranean Sea, the Atlas mountain range (African north coast!) and the bay of Malaga, and on the other side you will see the city of Granada and to the northeast, the desert of Gorafe and Tabernas.
And we can say that this is one of the most striking experiences in this part of the world!
3. Because Sierra Nevada offers the perfect environment for hiking & biking all year around!
Most areas in this spectacular mountain range are part of a National Park, so imagine its flora, fauna and ecosystem diversity. This is why it has been recognized as a UNESCO biosphere reserve, paradisiacal for nature lovers, and it is also well-known for its magnificent hiking & biking trails for all levels and preferences.
Furthermore, Sierra Nevada boasts many trails that are part of the skiing slopes during the winter. But after the mountains thaw out, all those beautiful areas are available for this kind of beautiful outdoor experiences. Just think about hiking & biking surrounded by natural water streams, lagoons, green meadows and lush vegetation.
Sierra Nevada is a great idea not only in winter, as you can see!
4. Because Sierra Nevada Ski Resort boasts unique gastronomic experiences
Its wide culinary offer ranges from the finest gourmet restaurants to the most genuine tapas bars, exceeding the expectations of even the most demanding foodies, so there’s everything for everyone!
During the day, when your appetite starts to knock, you can head to one of the on-the-slopes restaurants, take off your skis for a stopover and sit back and relax on a lovely sun terrace while revelling in a glass of wine and astounding views.
Later on, after a long day on the slopes, you’ll need a satisfying culinary payoff for sure. In Sierra Nevada you can take a stroll around the charming village and have a great time over some authentic tapas in a traditional tavern or maybe tuck into a full meal in fabulous surroundings for a relaxing après-ski experience.
As you can see, Sierra Nevada does not only stand out for having the greatest skiable vertical drop in Spain (1200 m) and the highest concentration of peaks over 3000 m in the country, but for being a haven for skiers looking for crisp snow, sun and gourmet delights on and off the slopes!